Derrr, I was interstate, or in some other state – in an alternate reality? Belatedly, here are my Nov questions. Feel free to post sarcastic comments. December questions will be better (and on time)
- During the Napoleonic Wars the British Army administered terrible floggings to offending soldiers, but these were found to be ineffective, bad for morale and, for that matter, they required quite a bit of effort to administer. What punishment was substituted?
- In 1941 the inhabitants of Leningrad, fearing destruction by the invading Germans, took down and buried or hid all their statues except one statue – whose?
- When you make a speech, you stand on a platform sometimes called a rostrum – where does the word derive from?
- Cinderella’s shoe – was it really made of glass? Surely, the Prince would have easily spotted anyone hopping about in a glass slipper.
- What colour is the skin of a polar bear? (under the white fur)