My quiz for October 2013 – please have a go and post a comment! (As I already know the answers, I prefer wit or sarcasm). I have to moderate the postings to avoid spam (and abuse), but I will try to do that quickly. The real answers will appear in November.
- Brazil exports 9 million barrels of ethanol to the USA annually, of which only 7 million are used; what happens to the other 2 million?
- Captain Beefheart came to disown his later pop-style efforts such as Bluejeans & Moonbeams – what did he tell fans to do with this record?
- Evelyn Waugh, as a young journalist got a brilliant scoop on Mussolini’s forthcoming invasion of Abyssinia, so for security he telegraphed it in Latin to the Daily Mail in London – where did they run the story?
- When Lord Castlereagh committed suicide, his motive for doing so was variously guessed as: overwork, temporary insanity, blackmail, and what else?
- In hara-kiri (Japanese suicide by beheading), optimally the head is not cut right off but a small flap of skin is left joined up – why?