This is Dr Bob’s quiz for July 2013 – please give your answers to this quiz by posting a comment. But as I already know the answers, I prefer to see witty or sarcastic comments! I will moderate the postings to avoid spam (and abuse), but I will try to do that quickly. The real answers will appear in August.
- Cryptozoologists have been hunting pumas in Exmoor and other remote parts of Britain for many years, as a result of which two animals have indeed been caught in cages. One was a real puma, an escaped pet; what was the other animal?
- Many Old Master paintings were forged by the artist Han van Meegeren; he sold one to Hermann Goering. What was Goering’s reaction on being told that he had bought a forgery?
- Some of Han van Meegeren’s forgeries are of markedly lower quality than others, why is this?
- The model of the blue whale in London’s Natural History Museum has been a source of wonder to children, including me. They abandoned the idea of making a mould from a real blue whale, so the model was made out of wood, chicken wire and plaster. Where did the construction workers sit when they had their lunch?
- A good cure for Tinea – a fungal infection between the toes – is to urinate on one’s feet in the shower. But urine is not very reactive and it would only be on your feet for a minute or so. So, how does this work?